What can I drive with a LR driving licence?
- Small trucks with a gross vehicle mass (GVM) up to 8 tonnes. Any towed trailer must not weigh more than nine tonnes GVM
- Buses that seat more than 12 adults including the driver and a GVM up to 8 tonnes
- Light Rigid( LR ) is a training course suitable for people who want to drive a minibus or light courier trucks.
- A LR (Light Rigid) Licence is the next class up from a car licence. You must have held a car licence for at least 12 months to be eligible.
How do I get my LR Licence?
- Have held a class C licence, (except a learner licence) or equivalent for one year or more. Any time you've spent on a P1 licence counts, but you can't practice to drive an LR vehicle, or upgrade to an LR licence until you hold a P2 or full class C licence
- Pass the LR knowledge test at RMS
- Pass an eyesight test at RMS (more info)
- Contact U Learn Truck Driving School on 0414 422 132 to book your training and assessment.
- Undertake a Heavy Vehicle competency based assessment (HVCBA)
What is HVCBA?
HVCBA( Heavy Vehicle Competency Based Assessment) gives you the flexibility to choose your driving school such as U Learn Truck Driving school to organise your training and assessment. We will train you in specifically set-out vehicles to make your learning experience comfortable and pleasurable. All of our trucks are fully insured and well maintained.
Under HVCBA, you’ll be assessed under a wide range of driving conditions by our assessors who have been accredited by Roads and Maritime Services. U Learn Truck Driving School will deliver your training course as well as organise an assessor to conduct your assessment.
Once you successfully completed your course, you can go to a registry or service centre to be issued with your upgraded licence.
When you've successfully completed HVCBA
Once you’ve successfully completed all the required criteria, and passed:
You can then attend a registry or service centre in person and apply for your upgraded licence. You’ll need to:
A photo will then be taken at the RMS, and your licence will be on its way.